Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Psalm 61

Psalm 61 New Living Translation (NLT)

For the choir director: A psalm of David, to be accompanied by stringed instruments.

O God, listen to my cry!
    Hear my prayer!
From the ends of the earth,
    I cry to you for help
    when my heart is overwhelmed.
Lead me to the towering rock of safety,
    for you are my safe refuge,
    a fortress where my enemies cannot reach me.
Let me live forever in your sanctuary,
    safe beneath the shelter of your wings! Interlude
For you have heard my vows, O God.
    You have given me an inheritance reserved for those who fear your name.
Add many years to the life of the king!
    May his years span the generations!
May he reign under God’s protection forever.
    May your unfailing love and faithfulness watch over him.
Then I will sing praises to your name forever
    as I fulfill my vows each day.


Today, my heart has been overwhelmed.  When I turned to the Psalms (as I often do when I need a pick-me-up), I found peace in the scriptures.  I literally said some of the words of this psalm earlier today, prior to reading the passage.  In reading it tonight, I found.... confirmation and validation in the words written on the page.  It felt like God was saying to me, "I hear you and I'm with you."  So many of the words in this Psalm really spoke to my heart... 

I cry to you for help when my heart is overwhelmed... I literally said these words today.  I asked God for His hand to lift the burden I felt.  I even thought... "this burden is so heavy; I can't imagine carrying the burden of the sins of the world."

Let me live in your sanctuary... Give me your peace, God.  Help me leave my burdens at the foot of the cross.  Protect my heart so that I do not grow weary. 

For you have heard my vows, O God... God knows my heart.  He knows that I'm seeking Him in this situation... and I have the faith to understand that He will give me sanctuary under the shelter of his outspread wings... like a mother hen protecting her young.

I am exhausted.... and I am trusting God to revive my soul so that I do not grow tired and weary.  Uphold me in my weakness, O Lord.

Peace give I to you; not as the world gives, give I to you. Peace give I to you.
Until tomorrow,
~Sara

2 comments: