Thursday, February 18, 2016

Psalm 19

The S.O.A.P. method of Bible Journaling is a great method of guidance to remind you of all the steps to a rounded out conversation with God.  S.O.A.P. is an acronym for

Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer

Scripture:
Today, the daily office of the Episcopal Church listed Psalm 50 [59,60] or 19, 46; Genesis 39:1-23; 1 Corinthians 2:14-3:15; and Mark 2:1-12. Upon suggestion of a friend, I opted to reflect on Psalm 19 today.

Observation:
In reading the Psalm in three different translations, I struggled to pull out a single word that drew my attention.   This whole song really spoke to my heart and I found myself fixed upon verse 14... "May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to you, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer."  

Application:
As I read through the passage, and it described what is perfect, trustworthy, right, clear, pure, true... things more desirable than gold and sweeter than honey, I was reminded of the recent journaling I did on Philippians 4:8.  In Philippians, Paul reminds us to fix our thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable and excellent and worthy of praise.  Paul is essentially telling disciples of Christ to fix our thoughts on the things that David describes in Psalm 19... God's instructions, decrees, commandments, commands, reverence, and laws for these things are perfect, trustworthy, right, clear, pure, true, desirable and sweet. 
The words of the 14th verse of this Psalm pull on my heartstrings as this is often my prayer... that others hear God's voice... not mine.  I pray that my thoughts are fixed upon the things that God wants me to notice and ponder... that my focus is fixed upon His will instead of my own.  The first priest I encountered in the Episcopal Church, Fr. Theodore Atwood, often began his sermon by reciting these words... and they have stuck with me for 17 years.  
During the Bible Journaling class that I taught today, I walked students through some basics of lettering and font... using the font to evoke the feeling that the word gives to me; so I did my rough draft on the white board today. 


 As the day went on, I imagined what illustration that I wanted to add to the illustrated words that I had already meditated on.  Here is what the page in my journaling Bible looks like...


Prayer:
Lord, thank you for the beauty of today... for your presence in each moment of the day and for your guidance and gentle nudges for me to join you in this journey.  Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable to you, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.  Amen.

Have you tried this method?  What are your thoughts?  What method or template are you drawn to in your own study?  Share your thoughts and responses in the comments below!

Peace my friends,
~Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment