Wednesday, February 17, 2016

A little Bible Journaling guidance... and Psalm 119:49-72

Today, I taught week two of a 7-week Lenten series of Bible Art Journaling for beginners.  I'm teaching this class on Wednesday evenings and Thursdays at noon.  I am fairly new (about 4 weeks or so) to Bible Journaling but I decided to teach this class to share a passion that I've discovered.  As I learn new things, I bring the information to my classes.  Last week, I introduced the basic idea of journaling on scriptures.  I walked my classes through a modified version of Lectio Divina, known as "Lambeth Bible Study," and we, very simply, wrote down a key word that drew our attention as we read the scripture in the English Standard Version translation.  Next, we wrote down a phrase or verse that drew our attention as we read the New International Version translation.  Finally, we read the New Living Translation of the Bible and took a few moments to write a couple of sentences that described how the word, phrase, verse, or entire passage applied to us in our lives right now.
This week, we walked through the same exercise but we did so after I did a bit of explaining how to illustrate the letters of the words.  We talked about how words evoke feelings and when we illustrate the words, we should illustrate the feeling visually.  For example, there are BOLD words (words that command attention), tall and narrow words (words that may be largely meaningful but require us to reach up a bit), flat words (words that are oppressive or demanding), tiny words (words that evoke feelings of inadequacy or small in posture), etc.  (see the left side of the white board in the picture below).


 We also talked about varying the types of lettering we used to emphasize various different aspects of scriptures.  As we read through Psalm 119:49-72, the word that caught my attention was "Obey."  So I wrote it in all capital letters in a dark color.  As I wrote the word "OBEY," I began to ponder the meaning of the word... and how the scripture passage defines it.  The phrase that caught my attention was "turn my steps towards your statutes."  I picked up on the word "turn" in particular and it brought to mind the act of turning from my own ways and desires in order to follow God's will... I visualized a U-Turn sign... so I began to illustrate that verse with arrows from letter to letter THROUGH the word "obey." (I sketched it on paper first and then drew it on the board for the class)... see the pictures below for a better idea of what I mean.















Prior to bringing my pencil into the pages of my Bible for illustration, I prepped the page with Liquitex Matte Medium, applying a thin layer with a credit card.  It took about five minutes to dry and then I could finally draw the illustrated words into my Bible using watercolor pencils, dipped in a cup of water. 
It felt unfinished, so I thought more about the word "OBEY" and tried to visualize a picture that embodied the word.  I came up empty, so I went to the next best source... google images... and I conducted a search for "obey."

Disclaimer: <Sometimes, you have to be careful in doing this, as you might come up with some images that are NOT the direction that you want to guide your mind in pondering.>

Anyway, I came across a picture of a woman teaching a dog to sit as he stood firmly with an outstretched arm, fingers folded into a commanding point, in front of the dog.  Then I did a google image search for a pointing hand and I drew a pointing hand into my Bible. 

                                                   

 I finished it by adding color to the sketch of the hand that I had added.  Finally, I wrote the Bible verse that inspired the whole illustration... Psalm 119:59.


Remember that the point of Bible Journaling is not to make beautiful art or to make perfectly illustrated words... it's not even to practice writing things in different fonts...

The point of Bible Journaling is to spend time 

INTENTIONALLY LISTENING 

to what God is saying to you.  

Several others in my class tonight had different words that caught their attention... "hope," "keep," etc. They also heard emphasis on other verses and phrases... because that was GOD, speaking to THEM.  The pictures I shared here were to help you see my process.  Try it for yourself... If you aren't comfortable with illustrating or writing in your Bible, practice this exercise in a journal... on a piece of paper... anywhere.  But remember to listen for what God is saying to You.  I have found a passion in combining illustration and art with the word of God... it inspires me, it teaches me, it brings me to life and gives me energy and renewed faith... it draws me closer.  

I'm looking forward to my class tomorrow and I hope you'll do some journaling of your own... share it in the comments.  Do you have questions?  Leave a comment - I promise to respond!  Thanks for reading!  

Until tomorrow, friends...
Peace, give I to you; not as the world gives, give I to you. Peace give I to you.

~Sara

2 comments:

  1. Wow! How exciting that you have taken to Bible Art Journaling so passionately! Honored that you were able to find some roots in our Facebook group and bloom into new areas in your community! Hugs, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! You've been a huge part of my growth... your encouragement, excitement, and knowledge have been so wonderful. Hugs!

      Delete